Position Title: Process Controls Engineer
Location: Newberry Springs, CA
Reports To: Process Plant Manager
Company Description: 5E Boron Americas, LLC (5E BA), formerly known as Fort Cady (California) Corporation is a wholly owned subsidiary of 5E Advanced Materials, Inc. (5E). 5E BA’s corporate office and team is located in Hesperia, CA and the project site is located in Newberry Springs, CA. 5E BA’s Borate Mine hosts a multi-generational Borate resource where boric acid will be produced for the large North American specialty chemicals market including high-end technologies such as electric vehicles, defense, and magnets. The Fort Cady project site is an exceptionally rare and large colemanite deposit.
Purpose: The Process Controls Engineer will have a firm understanding of programmable logic controllers (PLC) programming, industrial automation, and electrical systems. Candidates must have the ability to manage large complex project sizes with skills in both mechanical and electrical industrial automation. Candidates must be adaptive to various project sizes. Projects vary from complex turn-key automation machines to simple cost-effective solutions.
Position Summary: The Process Controls Engineer is an active participant of the 5E Boron Americas, LLC boron project which is a world first developmental project. The Process Controls Engineer is responsible for developing automation and electrical infrastructure as well as troubleshoot the systems on an as-needed basis.
Essential Functions and Responsibilities of the Position:
- Perform automation, instrumentation and controls engineering services for existing and new equipment installs in the processing plant and wellfield
- Responsible for all controls related activities, topics, and issues that occur in the plant
- Configure PLC, Create I/O lists, develop sequence of operations (SOO) documents and Program application in PLC and set up communication interface to database and HMI.
- Programming sequence logic, interlocks, alarms, proportional integral derivative (PID) loops and providing data for the supervisory control and data acquisition (SCADA) display
- Configure GUI to display trend charts, interlocks, alarms and events records and acknowledgements
- Maintain PLC software programs and provide any necessary changes for maintainability, process improvements, and safety.
- Implement and manage continuous process improvements with the addition of technologies to improve quality, safety, and productivity standards.
- Support maintenance teams in eliminating chronic equipment failures and catastrophic breakdowns by monitoring controls systems and developing procedures.
- Review and approve vendor provided document package including but not limited to drawings, manuals, and validation protocols as they relate to equipment controls systems.
- Collaborate and support interdepartmental teams including Safety, Quality, Process Engineering, and Production.
- Build written procedures, management of change, and other critical document management systems in Power Apps for easy access / control
- Support ERP development and implementation with technical support
- Ability to act with integrity, professionalism, discretion, and discernment in all business matters
- PLC programming and HMI software proficiency (Allen Bradley)
- Skilled in electrical calculations
- Proficient in safety standards and wiring
- Understand and apply proper electrical standards, such as NFPA 79
- Excellent organizational skills
- Strong communication skills up and down the organization and with outside contractors
- Ability to program and learn cross-platform software per site needs (common PLC vendors, Lab View, OPC/Scada needs)
- Ability to write and interpret software flow documents
- Microsoft Office, Excel, Word, Outlook
- Ability to read, understand and create electrical schematics
- Experience in pneumatic design and general industrial automation
- Bachelor’s Degree in Mechanical/Electrical Engineering or other engineering discipline
- 4-7 years of experience as Controls/Automation engineer.
- Experience with PLC programming – Rockwell (Allen Bradley) Logix family of PLCs is required.
- One to two years of experience with SCADA
- Experience with any of the other software packages such as Wonderware (System Platform or InTouch), Ignition, GE iFix etc. is a plus.
- First-hand experience with start-up/commissioning/deployment of control systems is required.